Sunday, September 14, 2008

So today is my birthday....but not such a good day

I spent all day yesterday stuck in bed. I was fighting a horrible sinus infection. We had plans last night but had to cancel them. I was up most of the night coughing, blowing my nose, taking meds, etc. etc. I dozed off about 1:00am, at 1:45 the phone rang. As you all know, you know something is wrong. It was my mom, they were taking my grandma by ambulance to Olathe Med. They had already pulled over once behind the ambulance, as the paramedic had to get into the ambulance with them because Grandma stopped breathing. They left the paramedic's vehicle sitting on the side of the road and he continued the ride in the back of the ambulance. They got there just behind the ambulance, as they went full lights and sirens. No way of keeping up with that. So we followed not to long behind them. They already had her on a ventilator, she wasn't breathing at all on her own. They put her in ICU and as of this evening, that is where she remains. They know she is in congestive heart failure, she has blockage to her kidneys, she has COPD, and Empezema, just to name of few of the diagnosis we received today. Once they got her to ICU and hooked up to the machines, her blood pressure bottomed out. They aren't so sure she did suffer a stroke at the time of the blood pressure issue. We won't know that until they start weaning her off the ventilator. So we are taking one day at a time. Also, to go along with it all, Grandpa can't take care of himself at all, so we are having to split between the hospital and their house to have someone there at all times to help with daily chores, or to make medical decisions.
As for Jack, our lifelong neighbor, we stopped by this evening and he is still hanging on. He has a very strong heart. The family seemed to be in pretty good spirits and seemed to have life planned out for when the time comes.
As for my life, not sure if I am coming or going at times. I just wish I would stop passing myself along the way.
I will say, I am sure I won't forget this birthday ever. Doesn't even seem like my birthday, but it is just another day in life I guess.
Hope everyone has a better week than I am having!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Things will eventually get better...

Jen said...

How is your grandma doing now?

Who Would Have Ever Thought......

Blogging Could Be This Much Fun?